Just before the start of first ODI, the New Zealand cricket team has cancelled its tour of Pakistan Friday after informing the PCB of a “security alert”.
A press release by the PCB confirmed the statement.
“Earlier today, New Zealand Cricket informed us they had been alerted to some security alert and have unilaterally decided to postpone the series,” reads the press release.
“Pakistan Cricket Board and Pakistan Government made foolproof security arrangements for all visiting teams. We have assured the New Zealand Cricket of the same. The Pakistan prime minister spoke personally to the prime minister of New Zealand and informed her that we have one of the best intelligence systems in the world and that no security threat of any kind exists for the visiting team,” it added.
The PCB said that the security officials with the New Zealand team have been satisfied with security arrangements made by the Pakistan government throughout their stay here.
“PCB is willing to continue the scheduled matches. However, cricket lovers in Pakistan and around the world will be disappointed by this last-minute withdrawal,” stated the PCB.
Interior minister to hold press conference
Interior minister will hold a press conference at 5:00pm to shed more light on the matter, said sources.
Sources further told Geo News that players of both teams were told to remain in their rooms and not venture out.
Sports journalist Alia Rasheed said Pakistanis in general and Islamabad, Rawalpindi fans in particular are extremely disappointed at the match getting cancelled.